On the one month anniversary of the Newtown, CT school shooting, mayors across South Florida and the country called for stricter gun regulations on Monday. Among them was Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado.
Regalado is part of a bipartisan group founded in 2006 called Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Over 800 mayors are part of the organization co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.
During a press conference outside Miami City Hall, Regalado explained the group is asking Congress for three things.
“To establish a requirement that every gun buyer pass a criminal background check, to get military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines off our streets, and make gun trafficking a federal crime."
Some gun law reformers are additionally calling for mental health checks.
Locally, the mayor's office is hosting a gun buy back program. Anyone willing to part with their fire arms can give them to the city in exchange for gift certificates to grocery and department stores.
The certificates are being donated by Padron Cigar Company and Dade Medical College. The Miami police department will collect and destroy the relinquished guns. Regalado has not received any pushback for supporting the initiatives.
“We have been very public with these gun buy backs,” said Regalado. “We have been very vocal in talking about illegal guns, and I have not even received an email of anybody questioning this project."
The first gun buy back day takes place January 19th at the Jordan Grove Baptist Church, 5946 N.W. 12th Ave. from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The second buy back day is January 26th at St. John Baptist Church, 1328 N.W. 3rd Ave, and the third date is February 2nd at San Juan Bosco Church, 1301 W. Flagler St.
Here are the South Florida mayors the Mayors Against Illegal Guns website lists as coalition members:
- Mayor Susan Gottliem, Aventura
- Mayor Jean Rosenfield, Bal Harbour
- Mayor Noah S. Jacobs, Biscayne Park
- Mayor Woodrow L. Hay, Boynton Beach
- Mayor Marilyn Gerber, Coconut Creek
- Mayor James Cason, Coral Gables
- Mayor Peggy Noland, Deerfield Beach
- Mayor Glenn Singer, Golden Beach
- Mayor Joy Cooper, Hallandale Beach
- Mayor Peter J.M. Bober, Hollywood
- Mayor Kenneth Schultz, Hypoluxo
- Mayor Barrington Russell, Lauderdale Lakes
- Mayor Richard J. Kaplan, Lauderhill
- Mayor Tomas Regalado, Miami
- Mayor Mattie Herrera Bower, Miami Beach
- Mayor Lori C. Moseley, Miramar
- Mayor Connie Leon Kreps, North Bay Village
- Mayor John Brady, North Lauderdale
- Mayor Andre Pierre, North Miami
- Mayor Myra L. Taylor, Opa-Locka
- Mayor James P. Sasser, Pahokee
- Mayor Frank C. Ortis, Pembroke Pines
- Mayor Thomas A. Masters, Riviera Beach
- Mayor Norman Edelcup, Sunny Isles Beach
- Mayor Michael Ryan, Sunrise
- Mayor Daniel N. Dietch, Surfside
- Mayor Beth Talabisco, Tamarac
- Mayor Jeri Muoio, West Palm Beach
- Mayor Gary Resnick, Wilton Manors