Most Active Stories
- How Miami's Shrewd Black Leadership Turned The Mandela Snub To Local Advantage
- Miami Muralist's Walls Brighten Art Week With Local Color
- Now You See It, Now You Don’t: Wynwood’s Evolving Street Art
- Basel Recap: What You Missed Over The Weekend
- Gentrification Film Shown In Wynwood Just Before Basel Madness
Thu July 18, 2013
WATCH: South Africa Celebrates Mandela's 95th Birthday
Originally published on Thu July 18, 2013 10:58 am
It's a bittersweet day in South Africa today: Nelson Mandela, the anti-apartheid icon who many consider the country's father, is celebrating his 95th birthday. But he is doing so from a hospital bed in Pretoria.
There is good news, however: As Mark reported yesterday, Mandela's daughter Zindzi says he's made "remarkable progress" and could be released from the hospital soon. The South African presidency released a statement Thursday saying Mandela was "steadily improving."
The BBC reports that across South Africa, Mandela was honored with songs, prayers and acts of service.
The AP has video of the scene:
NPR's Jason Beaubien hit the streets and asked South Africans what they'll remember of Mandela.
The New York Times did something similar. They asked South Africans what Mandela means to them: