Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Around the Nation
Wed May 8, 2013
Texas Woman Says Bacon Is Key To Long Life
Originally published on Thu May 9, 2013 11:43 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
Pearl Cantrell is 105. Naturally, her local TV station, KRBC in Texas, did a feature asking her the secret to longevity. Her answer: Bacon. I eat it every day, she said. Well, this caught the attention of Oscar Meyer.
(SOUNDBITE OF "OSCAR MEYER WEINER SONG")
UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: (singing) Oh, I'd love to be an Oscar Meyer Weiner...
GREENE: The company called her an inspiration and brought its Weinermobile to town. One TV report showed Cantrell passing through town waving from the front seat, riding shot bun, as the reporter noted.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.