Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Smoldering Liberty City: Remembering The McDuffie Riots
Thu July 24, 2014
Taxpayers Saddled With Miami-Dade Police Settlement For Botched Sting
Miami-Dade County taxpayers are most likely on the hook for settlement payments in a county police sting operation where three alleged home invasion robbers were killed, along with the confidential police informant working with the department.
It happened in June 2011 in the Redland, and NBC 6 has an exclusive investigation.
The State Attorney's office says there's not enough evidence to prosecute the police agents, but believes only one of the shootings was justifiable.
And with no living witnesses to dispute the Miami-Dade officers' stories, the county has decided to settle claims with the families of three of the four men, without admitting guilt.
Hear an interview with investigative reporter Tony Pipitone: