Most Active Stories
- Here Is What It Looks Like When Traffic Engineers Design Highway Signs
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- Six Films At This Year's Miami International Film Festival You Must Not Miss
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
Thu February 28, 2013
Talk To Us: Florida Legislators & A Session 2013 Sneak Peek At WLRN - Miami Herald Town Hall
Redistricting, property insurance, Medicaid expansion and political transparency were among the topics covered during this week’s Town Hall event on Session 2013 of the Florida Legislature hosted by WLRN and the Miami Herald. The second annual forum marks the beginning of WLRN's coverage of Session 2013, which convenes March 5 and continues through May 3.
About 600 people packed into the Broward Center for the Performing Arts in Fort Lauderdale to listen as two Tallahassee leaders -- Sen. Chris Smith (D-Fort Lauderdale and Senate minority leader) and Sen. Jack Latvala (R-Clearwater and chair of the Ethics and Elections Committee) -- took questions about everything from expanding Medicaid benefits for Florida's uninsured, to Gov. Rick Scott's proposed $2,500 bonuses for teachers. Mary Ellen Klas, Tallahassee bureau chief for the Miami Herald, also sat on the panel. WLRN's Phil Latzman moderated.
You can listen to the hour-long special in the player above. Or you can hear it on air Thursday at 11:00 a.m.
And you can keep the conversation going online. Leave your comments below:
Florida Property Insurance Rates
Tallanasty, The Game