Swing State Life: Obama's On His Way To Make A Nightmare Of Miami Traffic
President Obama makes an appearance this afternoon at BankUnited Center on the University of Miami's Coral Gables campus. It's a grassroots rally with free admission for those who got advance tickets. Doors open at 1 p. m.
After that, Brickell Avenue will close at Southeast Seventh Street at 4 p. m. as the president makes his way to another event at the J. W. Marriott Marquis Hotel.
He's supposed to arrive at 5. But the Miami Herald warns downtown drivers need to make three and half hours worth of plans:
• At 4 p.m., all northbound traffic on Brickell Avenue will be closed at Southeast Seventh Street. Traffic will be diverted westbound onto Southeast Seventh Street.
• Because of construction, you’re best bet for going west will be either Southeast Seventh Street or going south on Brickell Avenue, then west on Southeast 13th Street.
• From 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., all streets south of Southeast First Street to the Miami River and from Southeast Second Avenue to Biscayne Boulevard will be shut down to cars, bicyclists and pedestrians.
• From 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., no traffic will be allowed onto Southeast Second Avenue to get onto Interstate 95.
• From 5:30 p.m. to approximately 6:40 p.m., traffic will be allowed to go south on Southeast Second Avenue.
• From 6:45 p.m. until 7:30 p.m., the area of Southeast First Street to the Miami River and from Southeast Second Avenue to Biscayne Boulevard will be completely shut down, again.
• After 7:30 p.m., traffic will return to normal.