Earlier this week, we asked you to help us tell a story—140 characters at a time—in honor of Miami Book Fair International.
We tweeted out the first line, given to us by Pulitzer-winning author Junot Díaz: “The dogs hadn’t barked all week.”
What we got back was a woman about to be a mother, a mother who rejects her daughter, an ominous tia, an ambivalent relationship, and a pack of howling dogs:
It was quite an experiment. And yeah, if we were to workshop this in a college English class, there would be a lot of questions. Like: What’s in the backpack? Who is Tony? How did they get to Mahlia’s mom’s house? Wait, what just happened?
But hey, it's like jazz: it's the notes you don't play.
And the story doesn’t end here. There were a whole lot of interesting tweets to #WLRNstory that didn’t make it to our final narrative. Bath salts came up once. A trip to the beach. Maybe an alien baby plotline.
Which brings us to our next request.
We want your remixes.
Take a look at the tweets that came in to #WLRNstory on Thursday night. Reorder them, make a new narrative. We’ll post the winning submission on WLRN.org next week.
- The submission should be a reordering of tweets that came in to #WLRNstory on Thursday night.
- Don’t edit the content of the tweets.
- Include the @TwitterName at the beginning of each tweet.
- Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with #WLRNstory in the subject line.
- Deadline is Sunday, Nov. 18, at midnight.
We're excited to see what you come up with.