Most Active Stories
- Here Is What It Looks Like When Traffic Engineers Design Highway Signs
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- Six Films At This Year's Miami International Film Festival You Must Not Miss
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
The Year That Was
Thu December 27, 2012
South Florida's Notable Deaths Of 2012
South Florida lost a number of notable figures in 2012.
Bee Gees singer and former Miami resident Robin Gibb died at 62 after a battle with cancer.
Tony Goldman, the developer credited with turning South Beach and Wynwood into thriving destinations, died at 68 from heart failure.
And Bishop Agustín Román, one of the most prominent religious leaders in the Cuban exile community, died of a heart attack at 83 years old.
Elinor Brecher, who writes obituaries for the Miami Herald, said that one of the deaths that still sticks with her is that of 36-year-old Aaron Cohen. The young father, beloved community member and avid cyclist was killed in a hit-and-run while cycling on the Rickenbacker Causeway.
"When you write obituaries there are many categories," said Brecher, "and there are some, you know, very old people who die peacefully in their beds. Yes, of course they'll be missed by the people who love them. But then there are others that just seem so pointless and this was one of them."
Following Cohen's death, hundreds of people showed up for a memorial bike ride on the Rickenbacker Causeway. Brecher says the bicycling community has rallied behind Cohen's memory and that his death brought bicycle safety into the public consciousness.
Under the Sun