Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- Latest Univision Race Gaffe Shows Culture Gap
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Miami-Dade Commission Votes Overwhelmingly In Favor Of Mega-Mall
- MAP: Miami Roads Closed For Formula E Race This Weekend
Wed September 3, 2014
Minors Banned From Miami's Ultra Music Festival
Organizers of Ultra Music Festival, held at Miami's Bayfront Park, announced a big change for future events: no minors allowed.
Event officials say this decision is not solely based on incidents from the last festival. Back in March, security guard Erika Mack was trampled when a crowd knocked down a chain link fence. Also, patron Pena Escoto died from an accidental overdose.
Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado has tried to get the event pushed out of the city. But commissioners agreed to continue their contract with the festival organizers as long as there were more security measures in place.
Along with banning all minors, there will be more police officers hired for security and better fences erected for the event. It's scheduled next year for March 27, 28 and 29.
Ultra Music Festival
Diversity in EDM
South Florida Arts Beat