Most Active Stories
- Black While Policing: A Miami Officer Shares His Experience
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- The Debate Over Richmond Pine Rockland
- The Sunshine Economy: Magic And Mike (Fernandez)
- It's all clear on Foyle's War. Or is it? Watch at it's new time 9 pm on WLRN-TV.
Fri August 22, 2014
Miami Police Union Supports Officer In Ferguson Shooting
Miami’s Fraternal Order of Police union is putting its full support behind Officer Darren Wilson of the Ferguson Police Department.
A recent post on the union’s website reads “We Support Officer Wilson.”
Wilson is accused of shooting Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old in Ferguson, Mo. Brown's shooting has sparked protests in his support, while others have rallied behind Officer Wilson.
In a statement to WLRN, local FOP President Javier Ortiz wrote:
"Officer Wilson did his job. We are confident that justice will be served when all the facts of what really happened are revealed. We stand with Officer Wilson. We pray for the family of Mike Brown because anytime we have to take a life, it is a tragedy."
The union's views are independent of the City of Miami Police Department. A spokesperson for the Miami police department declined to comment.
Ortiz is also asking for followers on his Facebook page to donate to an online fundraiser on Officer Wilson's behalf.