Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Which One Is Better: Miami Or Miami Beach?
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
Fri July 25, 2014
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Rules In Favor of Gay Marriage
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Sarah Zabel ruled Friday afternoon that the six same-sex couples who sued county clerk Harvey Ruvin for marriage licenses should be allowed to wed.
In the ruling, Zabel wrote that denying same-sex couples the right to marriage "is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law."
Zabel ordered an immediate stay until after the case is appealed.
The ruling marks the second time in less than two weeks that a South Florida circuit judge declared the state's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.
On July 17, Monroe County Chief Circuit Judge Luis Garcia also ruled Florida's gay marriage ban unconstitutional. His ruling only applied to Monroe County, and was appealed by Attorney General Pam Bondi.
Read more at the Miami Herald.
The Florida Roundup