Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- Latest Univision Race Gaffe Shows Culture Gap
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Miami-Dade Commission Votes Overwhelmingly In Favor Of Mega-Mall
- MAP: Miami Roads Closed For Formula E Race This Weekend
The Florida Roundup
Fri February 14, 2014
How Jimmy Ryce's Death Changed The Way We Treat Sex Predators
Nineteen years after the crime, Jimmy Ryce’s killer has been put to death. Juan Carlos Chavez is the second death row inmate to be executed in Florida this year, as state legislators look to strengthen sexual predator laws, enacted after Ryce’s killing.
This week on the Florida Roundup, host Tom Hudson will discuss the Ryce case with Fernando Vila of Fusion, Tia Mitchell of the Tampa Bay Times, Amy Driscoll and Juan Vasquez of the Miami Herald and Rhema Thompson of WJCT Public Radio in Jacksonville.
The panel will also discuss the permanent U.S embargo of Cuba -- which is 52 years old this month. It's become an issue in the race for governor, after candidate Charlie Crist switched his position and came out against the embargo. A new poll finds most Floridians would like to see a change in American policy toward Cuba as well.
Share your thoughts on the week’s news during the live chat at noon:
Jimmy Ryce Act