Most Active Stories
Thu December 5, 2013
A Gun-Toting Mother Teresa Heralds Art Week In Downtown Miami
What if Mother Teresa had been a war-maker instead of a missionary? What if Gandhi employed violence instead of civil disobedience? Those are some of the questions begged by the exhibit WAR to WAR in Bayfront Park.
The exhibit features not only historical figures known for their humanitarian work, but also artists, entertainers and sports stars. All the figures stand at an imposing, larger-than-life height, and all are flaunting massive firearms.
The statues are the work of Iraqi artist Ahmed Al-Bahrani commissioned and presented by Miami gallery Gary Nader Fine Art. The exhibit is opening as part of art week in conjunction with Art Basel Miami Beach and will remain at Bayfront Park through Jan. 3.
WAR to WAR is one for the list of this week's must-sees, especially if you're trying to Basel on a budget.
Here’s a list of the statues:
- Indian freedom fighter and politician Gandhi
- Spanish artist Pablo Picasso
- Michelangelo’s “David”
- Catholic Missionary Mother Teresa
- American boxer Muhammad Ali
- American entertainer Charlie Chaplin
- American entertainer Michael Jackson
- South African freedom fighter and politician Mandela
- Brazilian soccer player Ronaldinho
The Sunshine Economy
Art That Will 'Move' You