Most Active Stories
- Black While Policing: A Miami Officer Shares His Experience
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- Why It's Time For A Reality Check On Normalizing Relations With Cuba
- How To Deal With Florida's Growing Panther Population
- The Sunshine Economy: Magic And Mike (Fernandez)
Mon December 2, 2013
Gentrification Film Shown In Wynwood Just Before Basel Madness
Crowds frequenting Wynwood's eccentric bars and restaurants likely don't think of the old neighborhood's longtime residents, some of whom have had to leave their homes after the area's recent art revival.
But some Wynwood natives have been pushed out. The neighborhood's gentrification is explored in the documentary "Right to Wynwood."
This Sunday, Dec. 1, the nomadic art gallery The Space Committee will host an informal screening of the film in one of the homes it features. FIU professor of urban sociology Marcus Feldman will participate in a panel discussion of the recent changes in the arts district, and their implications.
"The neighborhood has changed for the worse," longtime resident Oria says in the film trailer. "It's not what it used to be."
South Florida Arts Beat