Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Thu March 21, 2013
Like Father, Like Daughter: School Board Member on Education Priorities
It's all in the family.
Miami-Dade school board member Raquel Regalado grew up listening to her father Tomás host one of Miami's most popular radio talk shows. She watched as her famous dad won a spot on the Miami City Commission, and eventually become mayor in 2009.
Now, she's got a high-profile job of her own, and may be following in dad's footsteps.
The younger Regalado hosts her own Spanish-language radio program on La Poderosa, 670 AM, and was elected in 2010 to represent district 6 on the Miami-Dade School Board.
Education policy is a major topic of discussion in Tallahassee this lawmaking session, and there are plenty of changes afoot for Florida legislators to consider and implement.
Regalado explains how what's happening on the state level is being felt in our backyard, and she discusses her political future as well.