Most Active Stories
- Black While Policing: A Miami Officer Shares His Experience
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- The Debate Over Richmond Pine Rockland
- The Sunshine Economy: Magic And Mike (Fernandez)
- It's all clear on Foyle's War. Or is it? Watch at it's new time 9 pm on WLRN-TV.
Mon April 28, 2014
#CubaNow Policy Group Highlights Key Generational Shift
This year has seen a growing chorus of polls, studies and statements calling for an overhaul of U.S. policy on communist Cuba. On Monday a new group called #CubaNow added its voice -- and signaled the growing generational shift among Cuban-Americans.
#CubaNow, based in Miami and Washington, D.C., is comprised mostly of younger Cuban-Americans who feel that a half-century of isolating Cuba has failed. They favor more open economic engagement as a way to help democratize the island.
Numerous other U.S. organizations, including the Americas Society/Council of the Americas last week, have made similar recommendations.
The group is launching ads inside the Beltway this week, one of which urges President Obama to "stop waiting" and order reforms such as permitting more U.S. travel to Cuba and approving licenses for U.S. investment in the growing number of private businesses on the island. Opponents of those changes insist any investment in Cuba simply aids its dictatorship.
Hear the full story here:
Latin America Report