It's summertime, and to Sandra Gompf, that means 'amoeba season'.
Seven years ago, her 10-year old son Philip went swimming in a lake in Auburndale. About a week later, he died from a brain-eating amoeba that lives in freshwater and enters the body when water is forced up the nose.
Both of Philip's parents are doctors. And since their son's death, they've been educating the public -- including posting a series of billboards along Interstate 4 through August. Sandra Gompf recently spoke with WUSF News about her son, and the awareness campaign.