Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Fri March 28, 2014
Your Garage Sale Might Be Illegal
Weekends, of course, are prime time for garage sales. But it may surprise you that the sale must have a permit, otherwise it’s illegal.
The Miami City Commission voted Thursday to remove the $28.50 fee the permits used to cost, in the hopes that more people will toe the line.
Permitting for garage sales is nothing new; Coral Gables, North Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood also require permitting.
In Miami you’re allowed up to 2 garage sales per year. But if you owe any fines because of code violations, you’ll have to settle up before a permit can be issued.
Despite the commission’s renewed efforts to make it easier for people to do what they’re supposed to, it is still up to city code enforcement to make potential sellers follow-through.
If I Were Mayor