WLRN News won five awards at the Public Radio News Directors Incorporated (PRNDI) conference in June, including one first place in Breaking News.
PRNDI began awarding top radio journalism in diverse categories in 1988, and today it remains the only national contest that honors local radio reporting. This year,WLRN hosted the PRNDI conference, as hundreds of news directors from around the country gathered in Sunny Isles Beach.
- Breaking News, First Place: Fidel Dies, by WLRN News Staff
- Best Use of Sound, Second Place: In Miami, Bass is King: Performance Recalls History of Miami Bass, by Wilson Sayre
- Newscast, Second Place: Is Zika Here?, by Christine DiMattei and Sammy Mack
- Spot News, Second Place: Trump Rips The New York Times, Hillary Clinton At West Palm Beach Rally, by Kate Stein
- Nationally Edited Continuing Coverage, Second Place: Zika in South Florida, WLRN News Staff (Stories by Nancy Klingener and Sammy Mack, and Tim Padgett)
Additionally, WLRN Editorial Director Alicia Zuckerman was elected to a two-year term on the PRNDI Board. A full list of awards can be found here.