Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media/Friends of WLRN
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Editorial Director
Schedule: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, or as assigned
Location: South Florida, offices in Miami and Doral, FL
(1) Fill out the job application here. Then, (2) submit a cover letter telling us about your areas of interest and expertise and how that fits with the needs of WLRN News, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) three references who have worked closely with you and can talk about your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “WLRN News Reporter” in the subject line.
This reporter will bring a beat/area of coverage to our newsroom that we do not currently have. Tell us what you think we need and why you're the person to do it. The reporter will pitch, report, write, and produce feature and enterprise stories and spot news for broadcast and digital platforms across WLRN News programming.
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas
- Builds on existing enterprise stories
- Produces interviews with newsmakers
- Reports live from the field
- Contributes to WLRN public affairs programs
- Hones beat and builds sources
- Works closely with editors to develop original stories for digital and broadcast
- Supplies images and video for digital posts and social media
- Produces news-related content for social media
- Participates in live and online events and special appearances
- Participates in staff meetings
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Four (4) years minimum professional experience in a newsroom
- Understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Experience and/or expertise in a specific topic/coverage area
- Exceptional verbal and written skills
- Ability to report, write, and produce for broadcast and digital platforms
- Ability to use news-gathering technologies, platforms, equipment and software
- Ability to use digital recording equipment
- Ability to mix and edit using digital audio editing software
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.