Most Active Stories
- Clergy Members To North Miami Beach Police: "Use Me Instead" For Target Practice
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- The Debate Over Richmond Pine Rockland
- The Sunshine Economy: Magic And Mike (Fernandez)
- Essential Tips and Shortcuts for Simplifying the Technology In Your Life
Tue November 26, 2013
Transforming Her Pain: Ligia Houben's Story
Ligia Houben left Nicaragua for Miami after her father died. She lost her familiar homeland shortly after losing her parent. As part of her grieving process, she wrote extensively. Her efforts became a self-help book that introduced 11 principles for transforming loss. She was astonished by the magic in her numbers.
Listen to her story below.
Houben now teaches classes in Ethics, Religion, and Death and Dying at Florida International University, Kaplan, and Miami Dade College.
Miami Stories is a project by WLRN, the Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and HistoryMiami. To share your story, click here.