- Deadline to apply: Jan. 17, 2018
- Station: WLRN Public Media
- Company: South Florida Public Media
- FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
- Reports to: VP of News
- Schedule: Full time: 10 a.m. till 7 p.m Monday through Friday, or as assigned
- Location: Doral, Florida or Miami, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Sundial Producer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Producer oversees all facets in the production of Sundial, WLRN’s new public affairs show, including collaborating with the host, writing copy, producing and editing elements including radio and digital packages, social media, voice-overs and sound bites, content generation, source development, pre-interviewing and booking guests and shaping the tone of the show. The Producer for Sundial reports to the Vice President of News.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Produces Sundial Monday through Thursday, including on air and digital components, generating segment ideas, booking guests, coordinating production and social media engagement.
2. Works with WLRN news partners including but not limited to the Miami Herald and NPR.
3. Helps organize, attends and participates in public events and community outreach as a representative of the newsroom.
4. Participates in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Four (4) years minimum experience in a broadcast media newsroom environment.
3. Strong critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility and value of content on deadline.
4. Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture with strong research and communication skills.
5. Familiarity with audience engagement, social media, and public media news and values.
6. Ability to operate digital newsgathering equipment, software, practices and standards, including digital editing technologies and platforms.
7. Proven ability to work collaboratively with little supervision.
8. Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach staff, freelancers and interns across platforms.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media:
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West, and we are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation producing 24 newscasts Monday through Friday for WLRN 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 FM in the Palm Beaches and digital content for WLRN.org.