Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Which One Is Better: Miami Or Miami Beach?
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
Soccer In Miami
Thu May 22, 2014
See The Newest Beckham Stadium Drawings
David Beckham’s group unveiled new drawings Thursday for the proposed soccer stadium in Downtown Miami.
The plan would fill in the boat slip between the AmericanAirlines Arena and Museum Park. The renderings included a public park with retail space that would be open all year.
“This is what Museum Park can never be without this intervention: a grand sweep of abundant acreage along a great bay,” said John Alschuler, Beckham’s real-estate advisor.
The site was proposed by Mayor Carlos Giménez as an alternative to placing the stadium at PortMiami. But speakers at the unveiling stressed several times that the stadium and its construction would be privately funded.
Afterwards, a representative from the Tropical Audubon Society distributed copies of a protest letter addressed to Giménez. The environmental group is concerned about the impact and legality of filling in the slip, which was given protected status under the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserve Act.
State of the County
The Florida Roundup