Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Sun December 9, 2012
Pricing A Warhol At Art Basel? It's $3.8 Million
"No disappointment. We've had a very successful fair."
For New York gallerist Christophe Van de Weghe, the highlight of this year's Art Basel was the sale of an Andy Warhol painting of the Statue of Liberty.
He didn't have to wait very long. It was snatched up on opening day. Van de Weghe was asking $3.9 million and he won't say what he got for it but, according to Art Market Monitor, it went to another American collector for $3.8 million.
He has exhibited at every Art Basel Miami since its inception in 2002.
"Every year, we see new clients coming into this market," says Van de Weghe, "and especially clients from different parts of the world. This art world is becoming more and more of an international market."