Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- New Reversible Lanes In Broward Are A First In South Florida
- This Is What It Sounds Like When You Put Miami Babies On A Pile Of Snow
- Big Sugar's Influence Stretches From South Florida To Washington
Fri October 12, 2012
Obama And Romney's Big South Florida Donors
Not only are South Florida's votes key to the upcoming presidential election, but its residents are some big donors to the presidential campaigns, as well.
The Journal found that even though Miami-Dade is known for having a lot of Cuban-American Republicans in its electorate, the biggest donors to Obama's campaign live in Miami-Dade-- more specifically, Miami Beach.
Two out of the top three donors to Romney live in Palm Beach.
- Marco Muniz, aka Marc Anthony, in Miami Beach. The famous Latin music singer contributed $75,800 to the Obama campaign.
- Stephen Zack in Miami Beach. He gave $65,800 to the Obama campaign. Zack is a partner at Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP and was the the first Hispanic American to be president of the American Bar Association, the Journal reports.
- Sherri Esformes in Miami Beach. Esformes is a homemaker who donated $50,000 to the Obama campaign.
- Wilbur and Hilary Ross in Palm Beach. Both have made $75,800 contributions to Romney's campaign. Wilbur is part of an investment firm that helped out Bank United after it was taken over by regulators.
- Robert Walter in Palm Beach. Walter, who founded Cardinal Health, also donated contributed $75,800 to the Romney campaign.
- Anthony and Sandra Tamer in Coral Gables. Each gave $75,000 each to Romney, who is reportedly a friend of Anthony's, the Journal reports. Anthony is currently the president of HIG Capital, a private equity company.
Obama At UM
The Miami Vote
Obama In Miami