Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
- Miami-Dade Commission Votes Overwhelmingly In Favor Of Mega-Mall
Thu July 31, 2014
Northside Miami-Dade District Welcomes New Police Station
Miami-Dade police officers are enjoying some much-needed desk space at the new Northside District station.
The new $9.6 million building, at 799 NW 81st St., features a circular bullet-proof reception, four jail cells, several conference rooms and houses the only cold-case squad in the county.
“It says something to know that you’re coming to a new facility," says Adrian Cummings, the administrative lieutenant at the station.
He says the building offers more space for the 214 police and civilian staff.
The building was expected to be one of the first projects built after it was mandated by a public bond vote 10 years ago. The county says construction was delayed because of electrical problems, redesigns and changing contractors.
"Some of the issues that we’ve had to deal with over the past almost 30 years are issues we don’t have to continue with now that we’re in a new facility,” Cummings says.
Though it has been operational for weeks now, the station officially opens on Friday.