Most Active Stories
- A Twitter Response To That New York Times Essay About Miami, From Scott Cunningham
- What’s With That Insanely Bumpy Section Of I-95?
- Liberty City Victim's Mother: I Will Get Justice
- The Cuba Debate: Can Capitalist Rookies Thrive In A Communist Revolution?
- Here Is What It Looks Like When Traffic Engineers Design Highway Signs
Wed April 30, 2014
North Miami: MOCA Suit, Actions Are A Breach
The battle between the city of North Miami and the board of the Museum of Contemporary Art continued Tuesday as the city filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the MOCA board earlier this month, claiming that it is “legally deficient.”
The city said the board’s lawsuit and recent actions, mainly the museum’s plans to move the collection to the Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach, are a breach of a management agreement between the city and the board. The museum board sued the city April 7, contending it failed to properly maintain the building and didn’t fund the museum’s expansion, among other issues.
“This group seems to have forgotten that they serve at the pleasure of the North Miami City Council. In other words, they work for us,” said North Miami Mayor Lucie Tondreau.
The agreement between the city and MOCA, which dates to 2008, states the MOCA board would serve as the exclusive operator of the facilities and “shall own, protect and manage the permanent MOCA collection of art, and all additions and modifications of the same.”
Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.