Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Tue November 13, 2012
NEWSCAST: Tampa Connection To Petraeus Scandal
U.S. Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base is saying very little about the Tampa woman who brought to light the Petraeus sex scandal.
She lives on Bayshore Boulevard just a few miles from the base and had hosted the former leader of MacDill's CENTCOM at several social events.
Jill Kelley, the mother of three children and wife of a surgeon, is described as a socialite, a social liaison to MacDill and as a family friend to retired Gen. David Petraeus now former CIA director.
While investigating Kelley's complaints about the threatening emails from Patraeus' mistress - FBI agents noted that Kelley had received more than 20,000 pages of emails from Gen. John Allen - the current commander of the U.S. war in Afghanistan. Those "potentially inappropriate" emails were handed over to the Department of Defense for review. In a response to reporter queries, CENTCOM emailed a brief response. "Mrs. Kelley has no official position with U.S. Central Command. She is a volunteer and a private citizen, not an employee; because of this, and because there is an ongoing investigation, we have no additional information to provide."