Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Mon December 17, 2012
NEWSCAST: Governor Rick Scott Reacts To CT School Shootings
Governor Rick Scott is talking about the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut last week that took the lives of twenty children and six adults at an elementary school.
Scott told the Herald/Times Tallahassee bureau his job includes taking care of 19 million people in the state, and he wants to keep them safe.
"You stop and say, 'Why do these things happen? What is the logical thing to do?' But I think right now the biggest thing is to be caring about all these families."
Scott is caring about these families because of his own personal reasons.
His daughter is a teacher.
He has friends who live 15 miles from the town where children and teachers were gunned down Friday.
And he was in New York City during the 9/11 attacks.
For now, Scott doesn't think it's the right time to talk about policy issues like mental health treatment or changes in gun laws.