Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Wed May 21, 2014
Miami Beach Gets Ready For Urban Beach Week
This Memorial Day Weekend, hordes of people are expected to flock to Miami Beach for Urban Beach Week.
Apart from an enthusiastic crowd and a fun time, this means traffic.
But fear not. Police have employed a traffic and safety plan that will go into effect starting Friday at 7 a.m. until Tuesday at 7 a.m. The hope is to keep the flow of traffic moving.
The traffic and safety plan will include parking restrictions, closed roads, more lighting, a massive police force and DUI checkpoints. The checkpoints will start at 7 p.m. Friday and last until 5 a.m. Saturday.
Ocean Drive is among the roads that will be closed during the holiday weekend. Some streets, like Collins Avenue and Alton Road, are under construction, which might make traffic worse this year.
Police are taking hefty traffic safety precautions because of Urban Beach Week’s past. In 2011, there was a fatal police shooting at the event.
Urban Beach Week is not a sponsored event, but some local businesses may benefit from the celebrations.
To read more about the regulations and prep, go to MiamiHerald.com