Most Active Stories
- Black While Policing: A Miami Officer Shares His Experience
- How To Deal With Florida's Growing Panther Population
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- Why It's Time For A Reality Check On Normalizing Relations With Cuba
- Examining The Welfare And Habitats Of Florida's Wildlife
The Florida Roundup
Fri March 8, 2013
Live Chat: What You Should Know From This Week In South Florida
By Elaine Chen
On The Florida Roundup, here are some the events that caught our attention:
- With the death of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, we discuss what his passing means for the rest of the hemisphere, particularly for Cuba, which receives most of its oil from Venezuela. And we take your calls on how Chavez’s death may affect South Florida.
- Has Jeb Bush changed his stance on immigration? Last year, the former governor essentially accused the GOP of “acting stupid” because of its tough stance on immigration. Now, Bush has a new book, Immigration Wars, where he says he doesn’t support a path to citizenship for those who arrived illegally.
- And week one of Florida’s Legislative session starts with a flurry of activity: a House committee rejects the expansion of Medicaid, the Senate passes an ethics reform bill, and the governor kicks it off with the State of the State.
Host Phil Latzman speaks with Steve Rothaus of The Miami Herald, Gina Jordan of WLRN and Daniel Shoer Roth of El Nuevo Herald.
Chavez Is Dead
Tallanasty, The Game