Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Mon May 12, 2014
Kenny G. Closes Up Shops In China
Originally published on Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep with a song stuck in China's collective head. "Going Home" by Kenny G. It was an American hit in the 80s and the New York Times reports it has spread all over China. It's played at stores and markets all over the country to signal when closing time is near. Shopkeepers themselves aren't sure why. Maybe it's a signal to leave. Maybe it just makes people want to go.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.