Most Active Stories
- Black While Policing: A Miami Officer Shares His Experience
- South Florida Author Examines Miami Race Relations And The "Yiddish N-Word"
- The Sunshine Economy: Magic And Mike (Fernandez)
- The Debate Over Richmond Pine Rockland
- It's all clear on Foyle's War. Or is it? Watch at it's new time 9 pm on WLRN-TV.
Mon June 16, 2014
Jamaica Decriminalizes Marijuana: Is This A Hemispheric Trend?
First Uruguay, now Jamaica. Last week, the Caribbean island became the western hemisphere’s second country to make marijuana possession OK. Is this a trend?
Ganja, as Jamaicans call marijuana, has long been part of their culture. The island’s Rastafarian religious movement promotes it as a means of enlightenment. Still, marijuana has been illegal there. Now Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller says Jamaica will decriminalize small amounts of ganja – up to 57 grams, or 2 ounces. Other Caribbean governments look poised to follow suit.
South Florida Arts Beat
Super Bowl Ads