Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
- Six Films At This Year's Miami International Film Festival You Must Not Miss
- Lieutenant Governor Visits PortMiami For Update On Tunnel Progress
The Florida Roundup
Fri August 9, 2013
How The MLB Learned About Coral Gables Clinic Biogenesis
On The Florida Roundup: From the ball fields of South Dade to Yankee Stadium, Alex Rodriguez fights to stay in baseball. Major League Baseball suspended him for more than a season for using performance-enhancing drugs.
We speak to Julie Brown of the Miami Herald about the Coral Gables anti-aging clinic, Biogenesis, that is at the center of the MLB scandal. Also joining us will be Tim Elfrink of the Miami New Times, who broke the story about the clinic, which supplied drugs to not just MLB players but also college and high school athletes as well.
Two local mayors find themselves arrested by the FBI charged in kickback schemes with lobbyists. It’s another case of alleged political corruption, this time, involving an official close to Governor Rick Scott. Is it another example of the loose ethics laws in Florida? Jay Weaver of the Miami Herald and Francisco Alvarado of the Miami New Times explain.
Plus: The Guinness International Champions Cup wrapped up this week. WLRN’s Kenny Malone tells us what its reception says about soccer culture in Miami and whether major league soccer might return.