Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
- Big Sugar's Influence Stretches From South Florida To Washington
- Lieutenant Governor Visits PortMiami For Update On Tunnel Progress
Thu October 18, 2012
Host Of Romney's '47-Percent' Fundraiser Is Set To Host Paul Ryan
Boca Raton's Marc Leder, who is best known for hosting a dinner earlier this year in which presidential candidate Mitt Romney said 47 percent of people will vote for Obama because they are "dependent upon government," is going to hold yet another event this Friday at a country club in Boca Raton.
This fundraiser, however, will feature Romney's Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan.
Mother Jones obtained an invitation to the Boca fundraisers that names Leder and [Mike and Irene Milin] as members of the host committee. Others on the list are Florida lobbyist Marty Fiorentino, former US ambassador to the Bahamas Ned Siegel, and billionaire investor Wilbur Ross. Supporters can pay $2,500 per person to attend a general reception and $10,000 per person for a "VIP Photo Reception" at the posh St. Andrews Country Club. But the real moneymaker comes later that evening, at a $25,000-per-plate dinner at the home of Mike and Irene Milin. Vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan (not Romney) will attend the fundraisers, according to the invitation.
The 47-percent comment made here in South Florida leveled a significant blow to Romney's campaign, at the time. That dinner, held at Leder's Boca Raton mansion was $50,000 per plate.
It's All Politics