Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- Latest Univision Race Gaffe Shows Culture Gap
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Miami-Dade Commission Votes Overwhelmingly In Favor Of Mega-Mall
- MAP: Miami Roads Closed For Formula E Race This Weekend
Tue January 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale's Stonewall Museum Seeks Smithsonian Partnership
Fort Lauderdale's Stonewall National Museum and Archives is seeking a partnership with the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.
The Stonewall, the nation's largest collection of LGBT literature and periodicals, has applied for membership to the Smithsonian Affiliations program. The program would allow both museums to exchange artifacts among 183 affiliates across 43 states, Panama and Puerto Rico.
The Fort Lauderdale organization is also working on a new, 2,000- square-foot gallery in Wilton Manors presenting popular Time articles with LGBT themes and a "Dear Abby" exhibit showcasing letters from the 1907s and 1980s.
Executive director John Jobin hopes the museum's possible Smithsonian affiliation and new endeavors will raise the Stonewall's visitors from the current 500-per-month average.
Read the full story at SunSentinel.com
Airs On WLRN CH 17 Thur., Jan. 16 Starting @ 8p