Most Active Stories
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- From Scorched Earth To Palm Beach: The Maya Are Coming To Florida
- New Reversible Lanes In Broward Are A First In South Florida
- Big Sugar's Influence Stretches From South Florida To Washington
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
Wed October 16, 2013
Discovering Guava Cake Specialities In The Everglades
Just like Key Lime pie is an iconic dessert from the Florida Keys, some locals claim the guava cake, or some form of it, is a mainstay Everglades favorite.
The name "guava" is derived from the Greek word meaning "edible fruit."
But despite its gastronomical attributes, many people would be surprised to learn that the common guava is officially listed as an invasive species.
Reporter Patricia Sagastume traveled to edge of the Everglades to see how one town is not likely to condemn this tasty fruit.