Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Which One Is Better: Miami Or Miami Beach?
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
Wed October 16, 2013
Discovering Guava Cake Specialities In The Everglades
Just like Key Lime pie is an iconic dessert from the Florida Keys, some locals claim the guava cake, or some form of it, is a mainstay Everglades favorite.
The name "guava" is derived from the Greek word meaning "edible fruit."
But despite its gastronomical attributes, many people would be surprised to learn that the common guava is officially listed as an invasive species.
Reporter Patricia Sagastume traveled to edge of the Everglades to see how one town is not likely to condemn this tasty fruit.