Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Which One Is Better: Miami Or Miami Beach?
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
Thu May 30, 2013
Child Abuse Prevention
05/30/13 - Thursday's Topical Currents begins with an explanation of the Florida “Protection of Vulnerable Persons Act.” Child abuse reporting is now mandatory even for non-parents or caregivers. Anonymous tips can be given to a state-wide child abuse hotline. Our guests are Oren Wunderman, Executive Director of the Family Resource Center of South Florida and Stephen Pennypacker, ESQ, Deputy Director and Training Director for Children’s Legal Services for the Florida Department of Children and Family Services. If you suspect or know of any child who is being harmed, call the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-962-2873 (TDD 1-800-453-5145). If you see a child in immediate danger, call 911.
And more at 1:30, Linda Gassenheimer with Miami Herald restaurant critic Victoria Pesce Elliott. They’ll discuss the flood of new restaurant openings and closing. Topical Currents Thursday at 1pm on WLRN-HD1 rebroadcast at 7pm on WLRN-HD2 and audio on-demand after the live program.