Most Active Stories
- Here Is What It Looks Like When Traffic Engineers Design Highway Signs
- How A Doral Woman Became A Victim Of Anti-Chavista Witch Hunts
- Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates
- Six Films At This Year's Miami International Film Festival You Must Not Miss
- See Historic South Florida Through The Lenses Of Miami Herald Photographers
Wed March 20, 2013
Capitol Visitors Get Up Close With Humvee And Military Chopper
Tuesday was Military Appreciation Day at the Capitol.
National Guard equipment from around the state was parked in the courtyard – the space between the old and new Capitol buildings.
“We have over 12,000 airmen and soldiers in the state of Florida,” said Major Blake Heidelberg, logistics officer with the Florida Army National Guard’s 83rd Troop Command.
“So we just come here and show our appreciation and open it up to the public so they can see the equipment, kind of get a taste of what we bring to the table for state active duty and missions overseas,” Heidelberg said.
The courtyard was full of visitors asking questions as kids climbed in the helicopter and Humvee.
Check out the slideshow to see trucks and other equipment on display.