Most Active Stories
- How Miami's Shrewd Black Leadership Turned The Mandela Snub To Local Advantage
- Miami Muralist's Walls Brighten Art Week With Local Color
- Basel Recap: What You Missed Over The Weekend
- Now You See It, Now You Don’t: Wynwood’s Evolving Street Art
- Gentrification Film Shown In Wynwood Just Before Basel Madness
Wed March 20, 2013
Capitol Visitors Get Up Close With Humvee And Military Chopper
Tuesday was Military Appreciation Day at the Capitol.
National Guard equipment from around the state was parked in the courtyard – the space between the old and new Capitol buildings.
“We have over 12,000 airmen and soldiers in the state of Florida,” said Major Blake Heidelberg, logistics officer with the Florida Army National Guard’s 83rd Troop Command.
“So we just come here and show our appreciation and open it up to the public so they can see the equipment, kind of get a taste of what we bring to the table for state active duty and missions overseas,” Heidelberg said.
The courtyard was full of visitors asking questions as kids climbed in the helicopter and Humvee.
Check out the slideshow to see trucks and other equipment on display.