BROKEN OLIVE BUTTER
Norman Van Aken. © Copyright 2014
The olives here are "broken" so we can remove the pits. Then we make a simple ‘compound’ butter with them with plenty of herbs, garlic, and spices to serve on the beef. Allow the butter to soften a little before placing directly on meat or fish that are hot from the grill, pan or oven.
Yield: 1 ½ Cups
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons pitted and finely chopped black olives, such as arbequine or Nicoise
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mixed herbs
- 2 Tablespoons Spanish sherry vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Spanish sherry
- 1/2 Tablespoon toasted and freshly ground cumin seeds
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Keep cool, but not refrigerated for serving.
Note: For the fresh mixed herbs, use any combination of sage, chives, marjoram, oregano, basil, Italian parsley, tarragon, chervil, and thyme. Add salt to the butter carefully, as the olives may have enough by themselves.