Most Active Stories
- Broward School Board Suspends Teacher Who Used Slur Against Muslim Student
- An Idea To Mitigate Rising Seas In Miami Beach: Lift The Entire City
- Which One Is Better: Miami Or Miami Beach?
- How An Ethnic Slur Spurred A Broward Father's Activism
- Stalin Stupor: Why Venezuela Keeps Getting Ranked "Most Miserable" In 2015
Tue July 9, 2013
Broward Sheriff Has Message For Young People Watching The Zimmerman Trial
As the George Zimmerman murder trial continues in Sanford, local law enforcement is planning for possible riots once a verdict is reached.
Zimmerman is facing second-degree murder charges in the shooting death of Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin.
The case sparked protests last year when Zimmerman wasn't immediately arrested, and Broward Sheriff Scott Israel wants to avoid any trouble when the trial ends.
His office has produced a PSA with the theme raise your voice, not your hands.
The PSA was made with the help of kids involved in the Jason Taylor Foundation, the Helping Abused, Neglected, Disadvantaged Youth, or HANDY Foundation, and James Jones of the Miami Heat.
In a statement, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said the sheriff's office was unaware of any specific event that might take place at the end of the trial but encouraged any protests to be peaceful.
The sheriff's office reports its investigation division is on top of the situation by staying in close contact with community leaders as well as federal, state and local authorities.