Date: July 18, 2017
Deadline to Apply: August 18, 2017
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: News Director
Schedule: 9 a.m. -6 p.m. Monday-Friday, or as assigned
Location: Primarily Broward County, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “General Assignment Reporter - Broward” in the subject line.
This general assignment reporter will pitch, report, write and produce spot news, feature and enterprise stories on radio and digital platforms for all WLRN news programming. This reporter will work outside of the newsroom a majority of the time, filing reports from the field, primarily in Broward County.
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas
- Builds on existing enterprise stories
- Produces interviews with newsmakers
- Produces stories on deadline
- Reports live from the field
- Produces content primarily from the field
- Contributes to WLRN public affairs programs
- Continues to hone beat and build sources
- Works with digital editor(s) to develop original content for WLRN.org
- Supplies images and short videos for blog posts and social media
- Produces news-related content for social media
- Participates in live and online events and special appearances
- Participates in staff meetings
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- One to three years minimum professional experience in a newsroom
- Exceptional verbal, written and analytical skills
- Ability to report and write for multiple platforms
- Ability to operate digital audio and video recording equipment and other news-gathering technologies
- Ability to mix and edit using digital audio editing program(s)
- Ability to voice stories and interviews with authority
- Ability to produce content for digital platforms including social media
- Understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media:
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station and NPR’s member station in South Florida. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West, and we are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation producing 25 newscasts Monday through Friday for WLRN 91.3 FM and 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 FM in Palm Beach County, and digital content for WLRN.org.