Most Active Stories
- Longtime South Florida Broadcaster, Former WLRN Anchor Kelley Mitchell Dies At 58
- Customers Are Grumbling With Spirit Airlines
- Let's Talk This Out: Teens Get Candid With Cops
- Former Miami Mayor Ferré: Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Is Florida's Migration Boom
- Gaining Altitude: The Aviation Industry in South Florida
Around the Nation
Mon April 7, 2014
Bench-Clearing Brawl Involves Police And Firefighters
Originally published on Mon April 7, 2014 8:17 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
It wouldn't be a hockey game without a brawl, even true with a charity match. A fight spread across the ice but there was no need to call the police to restore order, because New York City police officers were already on the ice playing against New York City firefighters. Video shows both teams clearing the bench, throwing punches - even heaving hockey sticks. The game did go on eventually and the cops beat the firefighters eight-to-five.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.