- Deadline to apply: Dec. 7, 2017
- Station: WLRN Public Media
- Company: South Florida Public Media
- FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
- Reports to: News Director
- Schedule: Full time: 10 a.m. till 7 p.m Monday through Friday, or as assigned
- Location: Doral, Florida or Miami, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Associate Producer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Associate Producer works closely with newscast anchor to plan, write and produce daily newscast elements; reports and writes original stories; and creates social media and multimedia content; supports digital and on-air production of public affairs programming. May file for other outlet(s), including, but not limited to, NPR Newscasts and the Miami Herald.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with newscast anchor in identifying, developing, writing, editing and producing content for newscasts under deadline pressure.
- Conduct interviews and research for original newscast and digital content, and take in feeds from news partners. Monitor social media for breaking news.
- Maintain newscast archives, and learn filing technology and protocol.
- Post updates on developing and existing stories to WLRN.org, social media and other digital platforms. Identify opportunities to cross-promote content across digital and on-air platforms.
- Fill-in for daily news anchor, web editor, digital and engagement producers or other staff, as needed.
- Take initiative to ensure website stories are displayed error-free and in accordance with the daily story rundown.
- Occasionally work in the field with reporters and hosts as assigned.
- Participate in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 1 year experience.
- Proficiency operating digital recording equipment, digital audio editing programs.
- Excellent written communication skills and knowledge of AP Style.
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social platforms.
- Authoritative and warm presentation style.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
- Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture with strong research and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach staff, freelancers and interns across platforms.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Multilingual (English/Spanish/Haitian Creole/Portuguese)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media:
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West, and we are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation producing 24 newscasts Monday through Friday for WLRN 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 FM in the Palm Beaches and digital content for WLRN.org.