Deadline to apply: Position is open till filled
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media
Reports to: News Director
Schedule: Part-time: 2 p.m. till 7 p.m Monday through Friday, or as assigned
Location: Doral, Florida or Miami, Florida
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Afternoon Producer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Works closely with newscast anchor inside studios to plan, write and produce newscast elements; reports and writes original stories; and creates multimedia and social media content for WLRN Public Media. May file for other outlet(s), including, but not limited to, NPR Newscasts and the Miami Herald.
1. Aid newscast anchor in identifying, developing and producing content for newscasts under deadline pressure.
2. Conduct interviews and research for original newscast content, and takes in feeds from news partners.
3. Maintain newscast archives, and learn filing technology and protocol.
4. Post updates on developing and existing stories to WLRN.org, social media and other digital platforms.
5.Take initiative to ensure website stories are displayed error-free and in accordance with the daily story budget.
6. Occasionally work in the field with reporters and hosts as assigned.
7. Participate in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2. At least 1 year experience.
3. Proficiency operating digital recording equipment, digital audio editing programs.
4. Excellent written communication skills and knowledge of AP Style.
5. Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social platforms.
6. Authoritative and warm presentation style.
7. Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
1. Adobe Creative Suite
2. Multilingual (English/Spanish/Haitian Creole/Portuguese)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
Up to 29 hours per week.
About WLRN Public Media:
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West, and we are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation producing 25 newscasts Monday through Friday for WLRN 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 FM in the Palm Beaches and digital content for WLRN.org. We produce daily spot news stories and longer features on local political issues and on topics including education, the environment and immigration.