Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Painting And Passion: Frida And Diego Come To The NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
- Some Rich And Powerful Would Benefit From Little Havana Upzoning
- Miami Transgender Community Mourns A Sister, Says "All Lives Matter"
- Income Is Only One Of The Ways South Florida Is Segregated
- Lane-Diving and Narrow Shoulders Major Safety Concerns For 95 Express Lanes
Maria edits WLRN.org and oversees all of WLRN's digital implications -- including interactivity-project management and radio-to-web conceptualization.
She likes hyphenating adjectives and working on weekends.
Maria started her South Florida media career at hyperlocal start-up and community-news blog Open Media Miami, a former partner of the Miami Herald covering the Biscayne Corridor. Her work in features multimedia journalism has also appeared in DRAFT Magazine, Beached Miami, the Miami New Times' Cultist blog, Tasting Table Miami and the nationwide music blog Consequence of Sound.
Before finding her place in public radio, Maria helped launch the Sun Sentinel's start-up entertainment site, SouthFlorida.com. With her blog, the Lush Life, she became South Florida's first dedicated craft-beer reporter, and the only local woman on the beat.
Aside from the burgeoning local-beer industry, Maria's interested in telling stories of ethnic identity and how immigration shapes people's lives. She's a proud FIU grad with a bachelor's in religious studies, and she is director of alumni relations for the FIU chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.